Tuesday 18 March 2008

One step forwards, two steps back... the bike becomes a 'mule'

With the likelihood of a move to Melbourne I didn't want to transport a disassembled motorbike. But with no hope of finishing in time, I thought it wise to reset the bike and get it running again. So its back on with the original tank, seat, gauges and headlight but also on with new decompression cable and a Daytona decompression kit from Vanem.

I don't mind putting lots of the original parts back onto the bike because I'll be able to test the adjustment of the cables and routing of the wiring in a much more straight forward manner. The original headlight is great for hiding all the wiring - I'm starting to think I should keep it!

The Second Major Stage

Hopefully with the original, rather than final parts in place, the bike will be less delicate to transport... I'd hate for something to happen to that shinny aluminium fuel tank.

Amazingly the motor turned over on the second kick - the tank had been off for 3 months! It was good to go for a ride and to test the new reduced turning circle (caused by the steering limiter which stops the clip-on bars hitting the tank). It was also interesting to experience the first stage of the new riding posture... reaching down onto the handlebars certainly does add strain on both the wrists and the neck. But these will be sacrifices worth making!

When I pulled up at the first set of lights another motorbike came up along side - the rider immediately started asking questions and complimenting me on my bike - and this without the cool tank and seat! It wasn't until I pulled away that I noticed that I'd forgotten to put on the rear view mirrors.

Well, the 'to do' list:
  • install the shorter throttle cables and a new black hand grip on the throttle
  • install the shorter clutch cable
  • mount the smaller stainless front mud guard
  • bolt on the now silver stone guard
  • Cap-off the top yoke with a aluminium handlebar post cap
  • reintroduce the indicator light kit - this is going to fit more neatly if I get a stainless steel bracket cut
  • replace the gauges with smaller diameter Dayton units (both a speedometer and tachometer, probably mounted to the same bracket as the indicator lamps)
  • install the engine breather filter
  • remove the airbox and install the K&N air filter
  • move the battery, fuses, etc. and introduce the required battery plate
  • mount the carburetor support bracket
  • remove the engine vapor return hose
  • mount the horn (this will probably need a custom bracket)
  • introduce the rearsets (removing the existing rider and pillion foot pegs)
  • install the ducktail seat
  • swap the petrol tanks (including swapping over the fuel tap)
  • mount the new stainless steel exhaust and re-jet the carburetor
  • resolve the graphic treatment on the tank... and the many other things that I haven't even identified yet!

No comments: